It was then that Ulverlei was being referred to as 'Oulton' (meaning 'old town') to distinguish it from the 'new town' of Solihull of which it is now a part.
It is located on the A41 between Solihull town centre 4 miles (6.4 km), Acocks Green, 2 miles (3.2 km) and Birmingham 5.7 miles (9.2 km), dating back over a 1,000 years, it is a now a residential suburb, though historically in Warwickshire. Bernard's Road, Grange Road and Kineton Green Road during the Victorian and Edwardian period form part of one of Solihull's conservation areas. Wulfhere was the first Christian king of all of Mercia, from the end of the 650s until 675.
The moated island is 0.65 hectares in area and slopes gradually from south to north.
There is an internal enclosure bank on the west, north and east sides of the island, running parallel to the moat ditches.
21), which was used for a gathering of 200 people in 1872.